Advocacy for Inclusion will be participating in the ACT Budget lock up tomorrow 3 June 2014. Comment will be available shortly after the lock up is released. An analysis of disability in the Budget will be posted on our website www.advocacyforinclusion.org later in the day. We will also provide comment via Twitter @Adv4Inclusion or @HChristinaR.
In the 2014-15 Budget we are looking for initiatives on active citizenship for people with disabilities, including:
- Programs that prepare people with disabilities to exercise the control and choice offered by the NDIS. This includes funding for Self-advocacy and Supporting Self-advocacy training and support.
- Comprehensive review of the ACT Guardianship and Management of Property Act 1991.
- Amend the Domestic Violence and Protection Orders Act 2008 (ACT) to incorporate disability specific living arrangements.
- Funding for advocacy services in recognition of their critical role in supporting people with disabilities as active citizens, and to meet the expected demand created by the NDIS.
- Divert funding from systems and facilities that segregate people with disabilities towards resources that support people with disabilities to live, work and be educated in the community as active citizens.
- Measures to reduce the rates of children in out-of-home care by developing policies that promote and support people with disabilities as valued parents.
See the details of our submission here.
For more information: 6257 4005 - Carla Millner Bradley or Ellen Read